Richard Adler (born August 3, 1921) is an American lyricist, composer and producer of several Broadway shows.
Born in New York, New York, Adler had a musical upbringing, his father being a concert pianist. After serving in the navy he began his career as a lyricist, teaming up with Jerry Ross in 1950.
They had three great successes, but sadly Ross died in 1955. Adler continued alone (though he had a major hit in collaboration with Robert Allen with the song Everybody Loves a Lover in 1958) and his most recent work was Fosse, about the work of Bob Fosse, in 2001.
He has two sons Andrew and Christopher, and daughter Katherine Adler.
He was inducted into the Songwriters' Hall of Fame in 1984.
- The Pajama Game- Musical, Comedy with music and lyrics by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross Feb 23, 2006 - Jun 11 2006 (starring Harry Connick Jr, Kelli O'Hara, Michael McKean)
- Fosse- Musical, Revue, Dance featuring songs with lyrics by Richard Adler Jan 14, 1999 - Aug 25, 2001
- Damn Yankees- Musical comedy with music by Richard Adler and lyrics by Richard Adler Mar 3, 1994 - Aug 6, 1995
- Music Is- Musical comedy produced by Richard Adler with music by Richard Adler Dec 20, 1976 - Dec 26, 1976
- Rex- Musical produced by Richard Adler Apr 25, 1976 - Jun 5, 1976
- The Pajama Game- Musical Comedy produced by Richard Adler with music and lyrics by Richard Adler Dec 9, 1973 - Feb 3, 1974
- Kwamina- Musical with music by Richard Adler and lyrics by Richard Adler. Featured then wife Sally Ann Howes. Oct 23, 1961 - Nov 18, 1961
- Gift of the Magi- TV musical featuring then wife Sally Ann Howes. December 9, 1958
- The Sin of Pat Muldoon- Play produced by Richard Adler Mar 13, 1957 - Mar 16, 1957
- Damn Yankees- Musical, Comedy with music by Jerry Ross and lyrics by Richard Adler May 5, 1955 - Oct 12, 1957
- The Pajama Game- Musical, Comedy with music by Jerry Ross and lyrics by Richard Adler May 13, 1954 - Nov 24, 1956
- John Murray Anderson's Almanac- Musical with music by Richard Adler and lyrics by Richard Adler Dec 10, 1953 - Jun 26, 1954
- Rags To Riches
- Hey, There
- Hernando's Hideaway
- Steam Heat
- Whatever Lola Wants
- You Gotta Have Heart
- Everybody Loves A Lover
- Another Time, Another Place
- I'm Not at All in Love
Awards and nominations
4 Tony Awards, incl.
- 1956 Tony Award® Best Musical - Damn Yankees [winner]
- 1955 Tony Award® Best Musical - The Pajama Game [winner]
1 Tony Nomination,
- 1962 Tony Award® Best Composer - Kwamina [nominee]
4 Pulitzer Nominations, 2 Donaldson Awards, 2 Variety Critics Awards, London Evening Standard Award, Colgate Distinguished Service Award, Songwriter's Hall of Fame, National Park Service Honorary Ranger Award, Emmy, Southampton Cultural Center Achievement Award for Theater (1993), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Lifetime Achievement Award, ASCAP Richard Rodgers Award, Honorary Doctorate in Music and Theater Wagner College.
- You Gotta Have Heart - By Richard Adler (Donald I. Fine, Inc., 1990) ISBN 1-55611-207-1