Tarzan musical poster 2006
||Richard Rodgers Theatre
||May 10, 2006
||Best Lighting Design of a Musical
||Music and Lyrics by Phil Collins
|Leading original cast members
||Josh Strickland, Jenn Gambatese, and Merle Dandridge
Tarzan is a musical based upon the Tarzan stories of Edgar Rice Burroughs. The music is by Phil Collins, and the book by David Henry Hwang.
It opened at the Richard Rodgers Theatre on Broadway on May 10, 2006.
- Book written by David Henry Hwang.
- Adapted from the Screenplay by Tab Murphy, Bob Tzudiker, and Noni White.
- Based on the novel by Edgar Rice Borroughs.
- Music and Lyrics by Phil Collins.
- Directed by Bob Crowley.
- Choreographed by Meryl Tankard.
- Aerial Movement by Pichon Baldinu.
- Set Design by Bob Crowley.
- Costume Design by Bob Crowley.
- Lighting Design by Natasha Katz.
- Sound Design by John Shivers.
- TARZAN - Josh Strickland
- JANE - Jenn Gambatese
- KERCHAK - Shuler Hensley
- KALA - Merle Dandridge
- TERK- Chester Gregory II
- PROFESSOR PORTER - Timothy Jerome
- CLAYTON - Donnie Keshawarz
- YOUNG TARZAN - Daniel Manche and Alex Rutherford
- Two Worlds - Voice of Tarzan and Ensemble
- You'll Be In My Heart - Kala and Ensemble
- Jungle Funk - Instrumental
- Who Better Then Me? - Young Tarzan and Terk
- No Other Way - Kerchak
- I Need to Know - Young Tarzan
- Son of Man - Tarzan and Ensemble
- Son of Man (Reprise) - Tarzan, Terk, and Ensemble
- Sure As Sun Turns to Moon - Kala and Kerchak
- Waiting for This Moment - Jane and Ensemble
- Different - Tarzan
- Trashin' the Camp - Terk and Ensemble
- Like No Man I've Ever Seen - Jane and Professor Porter
- Strangers Like Me - Tarzan, Jane, and Ensemble
- For the First Time - Tarzan and Jane
- Who Better Then Me? (Reprise) - Terk
- Everything That I Am - Tarzan, Kala, Young Tarzan, and Ensemble
- You'll Be In My Heart (Reprise) - Tarzan and Kala
- Sure As Sun Turns to Moon (Reprise) - Kala
- Two Worlds - Tarzan, Jane, and Ensemble
- This is the fifth Disney movie to be adapted into a Broadway musical. Disney Theatrical also has produced stage versions of Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Mary Poppins. A 2008 production of The Little Mermaid is currently being planned.
- Danton Burroughs was present at the opening night of Tarzan. His grandfather is Edgar Rice Burroughs, the original author of Tarzan of the Apes.
- Ashley Brown and Jacob Young, who star in the stage production of Beauty and the Beast, also attended opening night, as did former Belle, Christy Carlson Romano.
- Phil Collins, who also wrote five songs for the 1999 film, wrote nine new songs for the stage production of Tarzan.
- During previews, Tarzan had an odd schedule, playing only Thursday through Saturday, with occasional performances on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. It has been noted that a similar schedule was used in the West End musical Billy Elliot the Musical
- Natasha Katz was nominated for the 2006 Tony Award for Best Lighting Design of a Musical for her work on Tarzan.
- Tarzan will have its debut in Europe in the Netherlands. The show will have its premiere in early 2007. It will play at the Fortis Circustheater in Scheveningen. Currently, The Lion King is playing at the Fortis Circustheater. The Lion King ends in August, then Beauty and the Beast (currently touring through the Netherlands) will play for a few months in that theater. Beauty and the Beast was so popular that they decided to grant it extra performances. After that, Tarzan will have its premiere as the new open-end musical of Stage Entertainment.
- Tarzan (1999 film)
- Disney Theatrical